Monday, May 19, 2014

Why STEM?

I am often asked, "Why STEM?"

For me, STEM is not just a fad.  STEM isn't some trendy teaching technique that may or may not pass.  Teaching through STEM is, for me, very personal.

I found out today that I will be having my second brain surgery in five months next week.  As I sat in the doctor's office talking with my neurosurgeon, I was reminded of my reasons for teaching through STEM.  One day, one of my students will have the role of physician; he or she will sit confidently explaining a procedure and will put his or her patient at ease.  One day, one of my students will save lives; he or she will be a problem solver, one who can look outside of the box, draw outside of the lines, and see beyond the "given" and to the truth.  One day, I hope, one of my students will be on the team that discovers a non-invasive treatment (or even a cure!) for the neurological conditions with which I now live.

This is one of the many, many reasons I teach through STEM.  What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment